Since they’re called meatballs, why must we have to avoid gluten? Well, dearest ones, it’s because meatballs come from Italy. And Italians love wheat flour. And pasta, and bread, and all good things like that. They put this wheat flour in the meatballs to bind them and they taste delicious.
Of course, of course you do not need flour to make them delicious, and that’s why we have this lovely little recipe here. I am thoroughly delighted with the consistency of these meaty morsels. Eat over pasta, in a sandwich, on a skewer, how you choose!
1 pound ground pork, beef, turkey, chicken, or other meat of your choice
4 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
3 tbs. fresh parsley, chopped
1/3 cup rice flour
2 tbs. sorghum flour
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tbs. dried parsley
2 tsp. dried basil
1/4 tsp. dried celery root
1/2 tsp. sea salt
pepper to taste
up to 1/3 cup lukewarm water
4 tbs. safflower, grapeseed, sunflower, or other high heat oil
3/4 cup chicken or beef stock
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Yields about 16-20 meatballs
- In a large bowl, mix together ground beef, garlic, onion, and egg.
- In a separate, small bowl, combine rice flour, sorghum flour, oregano, parsley, basil, celery root, sea salt, and pepper with a fork.
- Add flour and herb mixture to meat, and mix well with hands. Slowly add water. Knead thoroughly.
- Heat oil over high heat in an iron clad/cast iron pan. (Non-stick will cook the food, but will eliminate the really good brown bits from the meat that are picked up with the stock.)
- Add meatballs to pan and sear for about 3 minutes on all sides, browning all sides. Add 1/4 cup stock, and reduce heat to medium-high. Cook for about 8 minutes, turning meatballs occasionally, adding more stock as it evaporates out. The pan should never be completely dry on the bottom.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes total, or until meatballs are cooked through. Remove from heat, and use in your favorite pasta dish or plop on some gluten-free bread for a meatball sandwich!
*for egg-free, use 2 tbs. mashed cannellini beans and 2 tbs. + 2 tsp. filtered water