If you don’t like candy canes, I don’t blame you. However, I think that their prevalence in the Christmas days has certainly conjured up a desire to have something “minty” this season. And while the lush in me would absolutely have posted a peppermint schnapps hot cocoa recipe, well, that’s not exciting or innovative. So, I figured I’d make one of my favorite cupcake bases and turn it into something beautifully holiday-esque. That way, you have a superb cake recipe, and then can get all festive if you want to do the full monty, like I did.
I was inspired to make the mini cakes a bit colorful after receiving a fresh pomegranate from my dad’s wife in Northern California. Apparently they had unearthed a little pomegranate plant (? don’t know how you do that, but it was hidden) and that’s amazing because pomegranates are not only delicious, but they’re also expensive so having those mysteriously show up is fabulous. The seeds are delicious and provide such a fantastic crunch when used in cakes. I’d never really seen it done but instead of using food coloring or artificial flavors to create a candy cane coloring I figured, let’s use what we have.
You can get peppermint oil at any health food store and make sure you check that it’s food grade or meant to ingestion. Most of them are, but just saying. What’s so wonderful about this recipe is that not only does it taste SO SATISFYING and creamy and heavenly, but it’s also really healthy for you:
- I has antioxidants from both the chocolate and pomegranate.
- It helps you digest with the mint.
- It’s a superfood as it has pomegranate and teff flour, a nutrient-rich flour that’s high in minerals and protein as well.
- It’s gluten-free, dairy-free, and you can make it vegan.
So, what are you waiting for? Let’s celebrate.
Peppermint Cream Puffs
|Prep time||30 minutes|
|Cook time||30 minutes|
|Total time||1 hour|
|Dietary||Corn Free, Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Lactose Free, Nut Free, Soy Free, Vegetarian|
|Meal type||Dessert, Snack|
|Misc||Child Friendly, Freezable, Gourmet, Pre-preparable, Serve Cold|
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 2 egg whites (or 3/4 cup aquafaba, the cooking liquid from chickpeas, to make this vegan [you will need to omit the water if you do the vegan cakes])
- 3/4 cups coconut sugar
- small pinch sea salt
- 1 cup teff flour
- 1/2 cup sorghum flour
- 1/4 cup arrowroot starch
- 1/2 cup water (omit if using aquafaba, the vegan version, and add 1 tsp. baking powder to the flour mixture)
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cups coconut cream (you can get coconut cream by either buying coconut cream or chilling a can of coconut milk in the fridge for several days and the cream and milk will separate)
- 5-6 drops mint extract (depending upon how minty you want it and how strong your mint is this could vary)
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- small pinch salt
- 3.5oz chocolate of choice (I used dark chocolate in the video)
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds (for topping)
|Step 1||Make the cakes first. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F and grease and flour a mini cupcake tin.|
|Step 2||In large bowl, whisk together melted coconut oil, egg whites (or aquafaba), vanilla, coconut sugar, and salt. In separate medium bowl, mix together flours (and baking powder if you're making this vegan). Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, and whisk. Then add water and whisk until mixture resembles pancake batter with no clumps. Gently fold in pomegranate seeds.|
|Step 3||Fill mini muffin tins with batter and bake for about 15-20 minutes, until cooked through the middle, poofed up, and gently browned. Remove from oven and let cool to room temperature.|
|Step 4||Meanwhile, prepare your filling. Whisk together coconut cream, mint oil, agave nectar, and sea salt. Once cupcakes have cooled to room temperature, remove a circle in the middle with a melon baller (or teaspoon) and fill with peppermint filling.|
|Step 5||Freeze filled cupcakes until solid.|
|Step 6||Right before removing cupcakes from freezer, melt chocolate over a bain mairie. Remove filled cupcakes from freezer and dip in melted chocolate, smoothing over edges with a spatula until entirely covered. Top with pomegranate seeds immediately to make them stick.|
|Step 7||Serve immediately or keep in the fridge for up to 5 days.|